Sunday, May 20, 2012
Lottery Ticket: Lotteries
Talking about luck and the lottery is really common in EFL ESL classes. I used this scene to lead in the topic. The scene sounds almost like a documentary, since it shows interviews of passers-by, saying what they would do if they won a very fat lottery ticket.
I. Discuss these questions in small groups.
1. Are all lotteries allowed in your country?
2. Should lotteries be allowed or prohibited? Why (not)?
3. Why are lotteries allowed in most countries, but casinos are not? How different are they? Explain it.
4. How often do you play in the lottery?
5. Have you ever won anything in lotteries/ a bingo? Do you know anyone who has? Talk about it.
6. What would you do if you won millions of dollars in the lottery? What would you never do?
7. How do you select the numbers you play in the lottery?
II. Watch the movie segment from the movie "Lottery Ticket" and answer the questions that follow.
1. Describe the scene.
2. What are some of the plans the interviewees have in case they win the lottery?
3. How honest do you think everyone was? Explain it.
4. Do you agree with any of their ideas?
5. Have you ever seen any reports like this one on TV? Why are people fascinated by what people will do with their winning prizes?
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - LOTTERY TICKET