Read the items below and write:
1. if the item says that breastfeeding benefits the mother.
2. if the item says that breast feeding benefits the child.
3. if the item is a con to breast feeding
( ) Eat more and lose weight faster
( ) It's easy and convenient
( ) There's a very special bond between Mother and Baby and it's the natural way to feed
( ) There's less spitting up, no stains and the poop doesn't smell!
( ) Protects against some breast and ovarian cancers
( ) MAY delay menstrual period
( ) Protects against ear infections, colds, and viruses
( ) Helps brain to grow and develop
( ) Less learning and behavior difficulties
( ) Less diaper rash and other skin problems
( ) Less colic, less crying
( ) Easy to digest
( ) Less diarrhea
( ) Fewer trips to the doctor and hospitalizations
( ) Nursing is definitely time-consuming: Newborn babies typically feed every 2 to 3 hours during the day and may awaken frequently at night.
( ) If someone else wants to feed the baby with a bottle of breast milk the mother still has to pump.
( ) Breastfeeding takes a lot of energy for your body to make milk, so the mother can often feel quite fatigued.
( ) There can be a certain amount of anxiety and frustration while a mother is learning the process.
( ) Sometimes mothers have physical problems like mastitis, plugged milk ducts and engorgement if the baby is not feeding frequently or properly.
( ) Working mothers can find it challenging to schedule nursing. It is necessary to pump at work and some jobs may not allow for such breaks (they should, but some do not comply.
1. The first 6 items
2. From the 7th to the 13th items
3. From the 14th item to the end
II. Talk to a partner.
1. What's your opinion about breast feeding?
2. Until what age do you think it is okay to feed the child?
3. Where is it not appropriate to breast feed a baby?
4. What would you do if you saw someone staring at a mother who is breast feeding?
5. Do you know how long your mother breast fed you?
II. Watch the scene from the movie Grown Ups and discuss the questions:
1. Describe the scene.
2. What is unusual about this situation?
3. Is the mother right or wrong to breast feed her child in the barbecue party?
4. Is it okay to breast feed a boy at the character's age?
5. Why do you think the girl reacted the way she did?
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - GROWN UPS